Looking for a natural way to clean the air in your home? It might be simpler than you think...
Yep. Houseplants are the best natural defense for filtering toxins out of the air. All green things work magic with the air during their natural exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide. But certain types are especially beneficial. For example, the Snake Plant (Sansevieria) helps filter formaldehyde and benzene (both known carcinogens) from the air. These contaminants can be in your home without you ever knowing about it since they are found in household cleaners, paint, adhesives, foam, and various building materials.
Below is NASA's list of the most beneficial houseplants for air purification.
1. (Philodendron scandens `oxycardium') heartleaf philodendron
2. (Philodendron domesticum) elephant ear philodendron
3. (Dracaena fragrans `Massangeana') cornstalk dracaena
4. (Hedera helix) English ivy
5. (Chlorophytum comosum) spider plant
6. (Dracaena deremensis) `Janet Craig', Janet Craig dracaena
7. (Dracaena deremensis) `Warneckii', Warneck dracaena
8. (Ficus benjamina) weeping fig
9. (Epipiremnum aureum) golden pothos
10. (Spathiphyllum) `Mauna Loa', peace lily
11. (Philodendron selloum) selloum philodendron
12. (Aglaonema modestum) Chinese evergreen
13. (Chamaedorea sefritzii) bamboo or reed palm
14. (Sansevieria trifasciata) snake plant
15. (Dracaena marginata) red-edged dracaena