Monday, June 1, 2009

I love it when I find something that makes my life easier!
In an effort to get healthier, my husband and I walk a mile and a half every evening (mostly every evening). We usually eat dinner afterward. So our walks have really cut into my dinner prep time. When I've had a really crazy day and didn’t set anything out to thaw, our dinner ends up being pretty late.
So I set about trying to come up with easier solutions. I hate those pre-made frozen meals-n-a-bag that you pop in the microwave because they taste cardboardy and have tons of sodium. However, they gave me a good idea. I found a product (you may have heard of them) called Glad Simply Cooking Steam Bags. These are amazing. You can have a complete meal made in about 10-15 minutes, including prep time!
They are very versatile. You can put uncooked pasta, veggies, raw meat, potatoes, eggs, anything in these bags and it is perfectly cooked in minutes! Also, you can make the meals up ahead of time and store them in the freezer. Then you just pop them in the microwave. Add some bread or a side salad and you have a meal! Here is a good recipe:

Pork Lo-mien
2 small/ 1 med. boneless pork loin chops, sliced into bite-sized pieces
½ cup chopped broccoli florets
½ cup sliced carrots
½ cup snap peas
1/3 cup diced mushrooms
½ Tbs. minced garlic
2 Tbs. chopped scallions
4 oz. dry spaghetti (whole wheat)
2 Tbs. soy sauce
1/3 cup beef, chicken, or pork broth
2 Tbs. teriyaki sauce (try light or sugar free)
Place all the ingredients in a steam bag and microwave for approximately five minutes. Let the bag cool for two minutes. The veggies should have a vibrant color, pork should be firm, and pasta should be tender. You should be able to feel this through the bag (handle the bag carefully- it will be hot!). Serve with spring rolls or fried rice. Serves two.

No comments:

Post a Comment