Saturday, November 21, 2009

A Fantastic Frugal Find!

Okay, I couldn't resist the alliteration! This is a good one for all you coffee lovers! My mom and my husband are MAJOR coffee drinkers, and they have to have the cream and sugar with it. I love coffee too, but I don't drink it as much because of my high blood pressure. However, when I do, I would describe my drink as being mostly creamer with a little coffee! We all love the liquid creamer the best but it can be quite pricey (over 2.00 for a 32oz. bottle). This would be ok if we just used a little bit- but we use alot! So my mother went on a mission to find a better option... and she succeeded! She figured out how to turn powdered creamer (which is much cheaper) into the liquid form. It worked great and actually tasted better than the liquid we were buying! Maybe it just tasted better because it was cheaper!! Here is the recipe:


Homemade Liquid Creamer

2 cups boiling water
2 cups powdered creamer
2 cups cold water

Mix the powdered creamer with the boiling water, until creamer is dissolved. Then combine the mixture with the cold water. Store in the fridge. Easy! This recipe make a little more than a quart of liquid creamer.


The cost difference is drastic: The CoffeeMate liquid creamer is $2.98 per quart. The CoffeeMate brand powder is $3.25 for 22 oz. The 22 oz. powder makes 3.2 quarts of liquid. It would cost us $9.50 to buy the liquid and only $3.25 to make it!

2 comments:

  1. Loving your blog. I just wanted to let you know ,if you don't already.Powder creamers are bad for you, maybe even as bad as the artificial sweeteners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Yes, I have realized that powdered creamer is not so healthy...
    I've been gravitating toward raw heavy cream which I get for $2.00 per pint. I find that it is actually cheaper in the long run since I use less of it than the powdered stuff. Not to mention, it's way healthier.
    I suppose I should update this post :)
    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete