Friday, March 19, 2010

Chicken Spaghetti minus the Velveeta


A few years ago my husband and I were introduced to a recipe called Chicken Spaghetti. Its a cheezy mexicanny version of spaghetti and it is DELICIOUS! It quickly became my hubby's favorite meal. However...


The recipe calls for Velveeta and canned cream of chicken soup... Two things which I am trying to avoid for dietary reasons. So it has been months since I've made it.

While perusing recipes online the other day, I ran across an amended one for Chicken Spaghetti and I thought I would try it. It turned out very good but the taste was a little different. So I adapted it further. Here is what I did:



Chicken Spaghetti

1/3 c. butter

1/2 green pepper, finely diced

1/3 c. flour

1 1/2 c. chicken stock (I used the homemade from my crockpot chicken)

1 1/2 c. milk

4 c. shredded Sharp cheddar cheese

Salt and pepper, to taste

1/2 t. cumin

1/2 t. chili powder

1 15 oz. can Rotel

1 lb. chicken, fully cooked and cubed

16 oz. spaghetti, fully cooked (I used whole wheat)



1. In a large skillet or saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.

Add green pepper and cook 2-3 minutes. Add flour and cook an additional 2

minutes. Slowly add chicken stock and milk. Whisk or stir well to prevent

lumps.

2. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 3 minutes, until

slightly thicker than a gravy consistency. Stir in Rotel. Add half of the cheese to the sauce and whisk until smooth.

3. Stir in spices, cubed chicken and spaghetti until combined.

4. Transfer to a baking dish. Cover with remaining cheese and bake at 350 degrees until bubbly and brown.





I divided mine into two pans. I froze one and baked the other. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment